MUSEUM STORE MANAGER POSITION DESCRIPTIO
Seeking Part-Time Museum Store Manager Duties include FT sales work, product development, purchasing merchandise, store displays, POS system & supervising sales staff. Retail experience preferred PT position. Send cover letter, resume & 3 references to Biedenharn Museum & Gardens, 2000 Riverside Dr Monroe, LA 71201 ATTN: HR. EOE See full job description below. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Museum Store Manager
This position combines a variety of merchandising and inventory management duties for the BM&G Museum Store retail operations and web sales. Works with Executive Director on branding and product development. Develops retail merchandising plans including open-to-buy. Leads in the hiring, scheduling and supervision of Museum Store Associates. In addition to store management the store manager should drive traffic to the museum, act as a visitor services agent and be active in the community. Schedules tours, school groups, photography sessions, etc. Oversees the answering of the telephone for all incoming calls. Primary staff person in charge of switchboard, answers incoming calls forwarding calls, and taking messages for staff. Manages the business office’s lobby area. Greets and directs all visitors. Ensures completion of security sign-in procedures for service providers, vendors, clients, job candidates and customers. Handles special administrative projects, as well as work assigned by Executive Director. Works closely with the Financial Manager to insure proper reporting of expenses and income of the store and other assigned operations. Assists other staff with overflow work; including word processing, data entry and internet research tasks.
CREATING THE FINEST POSSIBLE EXPERIENCE FOR STAFF AND GUESTS
As an employee of the Emy-Lou Biedenharn/Biedenharn Museum and Gardens the primary duty is to assist your fellow employees in their efforts to provide the finest possible experience to our guests.
Your second most important responsibility is ensuring guests to the Biedenharn Museum and Gardens are provided the finest possible experience whether visiting in person, by phone or on the internet.
Both of these duties mean you may have to step out of your regular duties to offer physical help, conversation or a smile.
- Able to provide all general functions and tasks of Museum Store Associate in addition to the specific duties listed below,
- Oversees the operation of the BM&G Museum Store
- Produced weekly store and attendance reports for Museum Director
- Establishes Annual Museum Store budget and inventory using an Open To Buy Policy
- Schedules Museum Store Associates and Soda Jerks
- Oversees the purchase of store inventory
- Actively promotes the store through sales, advertisement and other methods
- Makes regular bank deposits
- Knowledge of display techniques
- Maintains inventory database.
- Employing, evaluating and terminating staff; providing direction and delegating specific responsibility and authority as appropriate ; building and maintaining moral; managing the development and growth of highly professional staff, working closely with volunteers; consultants, and part-time employees.
- Ensuring the maintenance, security and proper use of the museum store’s equipment (display systems, POS units, etc.)
- Building local, regional and tourist audiences for the museum store
- Ensuring compliance with government rules and regulations relating to the operation of the museum store and its finances.
- Reports on visitors checklist
- Maintains statistics on sales and admissions
- Oversees cash register on Fountain Room
- Ensures bill payment is done in a timely manner
- Reviews performance of store employees
- Primary staff person in charge of switchboard, forwarding calls, taking messages for staff,
- Greets visitors
- Ensures completion of security sign-in procedures
- Places, receives and routes incoming calls
- Supplies information to callers relays messages and announces visitors.
- Assist the Photographer’s in setting appointments;
- Assist tour groups in setting up appointments;
- Checks Answering Machine daily
- Answers telephone, transfers calls, takes written, detailed messages (always take a number using phone message pad)
- Mails all brochure requests
- Handles all inquiries about upcoming events and programs, sending callers to the proper employee if unable to answer the questions
- Schedules photography appointments
- Books tour groups, programs, and staff meetings in Welcome Room
- Maintains Official Museum Calendar Book
- Schedules tentative events in Calendar Book
- Works closely with Staff on cancellations or changes to Calendar Book
- Collects & tracks all concert fees and registration fees for events
- Picks-up and delivers mail
- Distribute memos
- Makes in-house deliveries
- Maintains publicity files (keeping copies of newspaper & magazine ads and articles)
- Assists visitors in locating staff and staff offices
- Maintains Contractors sign-in/ sign-out sheet
- Maintains Staff sign-in/ sign-out sheet
- Types memos, correspondence, event lists and sign-up sheets
- Assists in various office projects for Museum Staff
- Checks & fills the brochure racks, postcard rack,
- Attends all Staff Meetings,
- Maintains office supply closet,
- Informs Finance Manager of office supply inventory needs,
- Maintains cleanliness of reception area and guest waiting area,
- Maintains office area in a neat and efficient manner
- Works with tour guide Coordinator to staff Educational Tours and Programs,
- Monitors the department and project expenditures;
- Prepares departmental and project budgets for review by the Executive Director;
- Represent BM&G at designated meetings, seminars and public speaking engagements;
- Resolve disputes as necessary or elevate to the Executive Director for resolution.
- Report disputes and resolutions to Executive Director.
- Performs other tasks as required.
- Attends staff meetings as required
- Informs staff of general activities
- Properly fills out Time Sheets/Clocks in and Out, Sick Leave, Vacation Leave, Medical Forms, Mileage Sheets, Incident Reports, etc in a timely manner.
- Willingness to work outside the typical 8-5 work day
- Performs other tasks as required
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proven Experience in gift shop or boutique management
- Knowledge of display techniques
- Ability to become familiar with the special aspects of a Museum Store
- Able to train staff
- Knowledge of Open-To-Buy inventory system
The Museum Store Manager is directly supervised by Executive Director.
This is light work requiring the exertion up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects; work requires climbing, reaching, standing, walking, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, typing, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word, and conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly, or quickly; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels, and to receive detailed information through oral communication and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; visual acuity is required for depth perception involving small defects and/or small parts, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Proven Experience in gift shop or boutique management preferred, Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from High School Previous management of a museum store is highly preferred.